This project is simply about offering members of the community a fun way to come together and participate in creating a safer and more vibrant community that has common sense and common decency as it’s foundation. Wouldn’t it be great to visit the local park and say hi to people you already know and respect? To have the option to safely and freely participate in fun and engaging activities or just to lend a hand in one of the projects the community has together agreed to work on. Just to “feel” like part of a community without fear of rejection, judgement or concerns for your safety. A place where your very presence contributes to the building of a better community. This is our future and it can happen easily.
The key for success in this project is to prepare a safe living foundation on which to nurture this type of community living. By creating fun and practical opportunities for every person in the community to better understand what makes them work inside, we are preparing that foundation. Through the Cultural Olympics the aims is to nurture new and proactive mindsets and positive beliefs by giving people of all ages the opportunity to learn more about themselves and each other. In doing so, they can develop the essential skills and abilities required for cohesive living.
The game we now call EQGrow has shown us that the laying of this foundation is nowhere near as challenging as it may appear. In fact it’s a simple and fun process when we know how to introduce it and near impossible when we don’t know how. In essence, it’s a number of small and playful steps that help people to become more aware of a range of what we call “basic life skills”. We call them basic because they appear to be simple, however as EQGrow is showing nothing could be further from the truth. Individually they help us in life and collectively they can have a profound influence on how we see and understand ourselves.
Once the foundation for smarter living is laid, we can then intelligently begin to prepare oursleves and our living, learning and recreation environments for a very exciting and peaceful future.
Mindful Action will come to a community once:
- Consistency in life skills education that links home and school is established
- A pro-active, preventitive approach to avoiding Mental Health issues is established
- We create a community that inspires and incubates creative innovation
- Everyone adopts a good for one, good for all mindset
- Common sense, common decency and a responsible and a can-do attitude become common practice.
Clearly, our current collective re-active mindset is not working and likely never will. We no longer need scientific research or even the media to tell us what’s going on. In one way or another every one of us is being effected by increasing incidences of domestic violence, physical and mental health issues, relationship failures and dysfunctional behaviours. The destructive cycle we are in can now be broken.
Breaking cycles: most of us, especially our young are products of our environment as we naturally absorb attitudes, beliefs and mindsets from those close to us. So this project aims for all people to be more responsible with what they pass on. The practice of developing consistency in life skills education between the family and the classroom will eventually have everyone is on the same page.
THE CULTURAL OLYMPICS CHALLENGE
The best teams will have a mix of ages, experience and cultures, as a diverse range of skills and abilities will be required. With patience and persistence, participants will together learn how to master each challenge through a trial and error. As their awareness increases, so will their effectiveness and their successes. The Challenge will:
- Get people thinking outside the box, be cooperative, resourceful and resilient.
- Call for participants to develop strategies using their collective talents
- Prove how effective people can be with emotional competence
- Help people to better use their basic life skills, abilities and qualities
- Encourage people to practice developing skills and abilities until they become second nature
- Help build a more stable foundation on which people can thrive.
People coming together to enjoy fun experiences always attracts media attention. So publicity will be low cost and word of mouth will work exceptionally well once participants realise the value in the experience. So the project can begin anywhere with just small steps, even with just a few participants and learn and grow as you go.
Events in the challenge will include:
- Creative expressions – create a work of art. a play or a creative short movie. A smart presentation to stimulate the imagination!
- Self-expression – debate a pre-advised subject. Smart teams will find creative and peaceful ways to articulate their position.
- Problem solving – a range of challenges that will require the mastering of a range of practical internal skills and abilities.
- Lateral thinking – negotiate through a large mental obstacle course
- Community service – engage in an activity with long-term benefit.
- Environmental – invent a common sense solution to a modern problem.
From the beginning teams will be encouraged to work together and consciously create an environment of trust and respect through the good times and the not so good times. Successful teams will nurture each other’s special qualities and honour the basic rules to ensure everyone feels safe all the time.